Monday 24 October 2016

A clearer idea

Having participated in a Skype conversation, I am a lot clearer on what I need to do to progress through this initial module. I have started by annotating my CV where I am surprised with the amount of my teaching practice that interlinks. I am continuously assessing my learners and am always giving feedback. In my position as a lecturer, we are always working towards a summative assessment, but the journey to get there is compiled of feedback verbal and written, reflection and implementing the feedback given. I have noticed that even teaching part time in a dance school, my focus is to always ensure that my learners make progress in each and every lesson. Some respond well to verbal feedback, whilst others require the practice of physically feeling the change in their movements or seeing it for themselves with use of the mirror before they are able to adapt to that change. the different types of feedback between my learners intrigues me to know they use their individual feedback in order to progress and develop. They take note, they take these notes on board but they are not always implemented into their technique and performance. I am curious to know what happens with this feedback outside of my class, how does my feedback impact on their learning once they have left the room?

So looking into my areas of learning (AOL), I would like to look further in to motivation between my different types of learners. I am currently teaching beginners right through to advanced standard. I am  aware that my more advanced dancers are motivated by the profession and the industry. They are hungry for work as professional dancers and thrive on feedback to help them to develop. As a teacher, this is encouraging and inspires me to deliver and work hard to enable them to be challenged and continue progressing. My other group of learners have barely danced a step in their lives and therefore there is a different level of motivation. As they are studying performing arts, their interests lie amongst the arts as singers and actors also. They give all they can in my class but do very little outside of class to continue their development. They receive regular feedback and are committed to doing better for assessments and performances, however, do very little outside of my lessons to challenge themselves further. Their motivation is different and perhaps more short term than my advanced dancers who are actively auditioning for professional opportunities. I am intrigued to know more about what motivates learners that are of varying standards and what inspires them to be a better dancer and performer. I will continue observing my learners and challenging them accordingly to know how they adapt to changes, developments and once again I will always continue to push for progress constantly throughout my lessons.

Kolb's model of reflection helps me to assess where in the cycle of reflection I am and I enjoy tuning in to my experiences, sometimes mentally reliving my experiences to understand what I could have done to improve that class. What overall would have developed the progress rates in that class? I will continue to use this model of reflection and my concrete experience to help my classes progress and to continue to assess what could have been done differently, perhaps more productively to enhance learner development and understanding.





1 comment:

  1. Great start on your blogs Becky!!
    Good to start recognising patterns in your own learning through the reflective nature of this programme as well as those you engage with in teaching and learning environments...

    ReplyDelete